Saturday, December 22, 2012

Homecoming

Our latest development in the life has been our acquisition of a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse. It wasn’t the car that we had thought that we would wind up with, but after several days of searching, it was the right deal, and will turn out to be a good investment car that we can sell come summertime. In the meanwhile, we’ll be careful to drive the speed limit on our journey home across the west.

The plane flight, though long, was smooth, and John had plenty of legroom to stretch out. After our arrival at the airport, we breezed through customs, grabbed our bags off the carousal, and met John’s Grandparents, who are hosting us during our stay in California.

They have spoiled us immensely, cooking us three hearty meals a day, encouraging us to sleep in every morning – even though I woke up at 5am the day after we arrived – and Grandma insists on washing our laundry for us as well. John and I are beginning to adjust to the American way of life. Today was the first time John drove on American soil in 9 months. He said it felt strange.

The air is much drier here, and after having lived in a humid country, my body is not used to even the mild California climate. I am thankful that our transition to the US began in Los Angelos, as it is easing me into the climate changes ahead. There is order to the traffic, and the behavior of the driver’s is somewhat predictable as compared to the Pinoy style of driving. We are surrounded by so much open space. People look at me strangely when I inadvertently raise my eyebrows in greeting. Everywhere I look, I see so many well fed people whose skin tone matches mine. I blend in, rather than stand out.

As stated above, we are both adjusting to the changes. We will drive back home, and plan on stopping by the Grand Canyon on the way home. Once home, we have some issues with our house that we’ll have to set in order. All in all, we are so grateful for Jesus’s provision. As always, He is faithful. It is wonderful to serve Him.

originally posted on February 19, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment