Saturday, December 22, 2012

Dropping A Line


In a world of deadlines, in the midst of my scheduled and somewhat regimented semester at school, there is something strangely comforting in a hot cup of steeped tea. Perhaps the British tradition of tea stems from a desire to have something normal in the middle of all the uncertainties that life brings. They know that at four or so in the afternoon, they will be comforted by a bit of tea. Good for what ails you.

I have been caught up in the whirlwind of school assignments, classes, quizzes, tests, exams, and what-have-yous. I am anticipating a much needed break from my studies, which occupy a great deal of my time as of late. Through it all, John has been my great encourager, and I am often overwhelmed by his steadfast support. My love for him grows deeper with time; it is indescribable. We are filled with joy because of our relationship we have with each other and with Christ Jesus.

I tried explaining the reason for my joy to a friend, someone who told me that she wished she could be happy, but only felt heaviness. My joy is not a feeling. My joy does not bubble up inside of me like an overflowing fountain. Rather, I choose to be joyful. It is a choice that I make every day. My joy is a choosing to be thankful, to be grateful for the gifts that God blesses me with, regardless of the situation. I will choose to say, with Job, ‘Blessed be the name of the Lord.’

The month of November causes me to reflect on the manifold blessings that Christ has given us. I am so grateful for His goodness. With the up-coming elections, the economic turmoil, and the uncertainties that many Americans are facing, I know that Christ is working all things for good, not evil. As Christians, our lives are in His hands, and I know of no place on earth that is more secure than that.

I am thankful for my husband, who I love moore than words could ever say. We spent our second anniversary at the Cornerstone Inn, a quiet Bed & Breakfast located in the heart of Nashville, Indiana. The inn was quaint, and we strolled down the streets of Brown County’s shoppes, hand-in-hand, breathing in the crisp autumn air as the bronzed leaves swirled by in the wind, crunching under toe. It was a marvelous getaway.

I am thankful for our families, who love us so dearly. We missed them last year, and I look forward to spending our Thanksgiving holiday with both sets of parents. I am grateful for our friends, spanning across continents and joined together by the bonds of Christ. To all of our friends in the Philippines, we love you and miss you all. You are very near and dear to our hearts.

My thankfulness could go on and on, and I may yet expand on my entry here, but for the time being, there are other things I must attend to. May the love of Christ dwell richly with you all. In Him, Kelsey

originally published on November 4, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment