Thursday, August 22, 2013

Eyes of Blue

We tied the knot on the tenth day of the tenth month in the year 2010. That October day was wonder-filled, resplendent, with golden leaves fluttering down through the trees. The day I married John. Perhaps it is our laid-back approach to life, our easy-going personalities, or the fact that our love has swelled rather than diminished over the years. Whatever the reason, my husband and I are blissfully happy together, content, and the closest of companions. I count him as my best friend.
.
Gentle and strong, John towers over me, measuring six feet two inches in height and weighing in around two fifteen, a good head and shoulders above me when we stand side by side. He works with his hands, in carpentry, a contractor by trade, mechanic on the side. Those hands resemble baseball mitts, rounded fingertips, stubby, with calloused palms. Capable and hard-working, he is honest in his dealings. His eyes are steady, blue as sapphires, with flecks of gold; occasionally, those bright blue eyes twinkle when he looks at me. He is not an eloquent speaker, yet he is measured, thoughtful. He knows the wisdom of silences and pauses. John is his mother's favorite son without being a mamma's boy - she raised sixteen children, and he still holds a special place in her heart. Loved by all, his nature is giving and generous, laid back. He has not been jaded by the world. He has not lost his sense of wonder. 
.
"Don't look for a man you can see yourself living with, but look for the man that you can't imagine living without." I heard those words of wisdom from my father, advice to a young eighteen year old me. I never dated anyone in high school. And I wasn't looking for anyone when I graduated. I determined that I did not want to get involved with anyone if we weren't going to seriously pursue a relationship. No casual dating. I had seen too many broken hearts in high school. My dad's words sank in, rung true. I didn't want to settle.
     
I had just met John that summer, back in 2008. He wasn't on my radar. But I was on his. From our first encounter, I unwittingly stirred something deep within his heart. And so he waited. He bided his time. John stuck around for two years, slowly becoming my friend. It wasn't in his nature to push me too early, before I was ready. As time went by, as I became acquainted with his person and character, he became my genuine friend. In two years' time, John became the one that I couldn't see myself living without.

2 comments: