Monday, December 31, 2012

Year in Review

Hard to believe that the year of 2012 is drawing to a close. Another chapter ending, a new one to begin. And what a year it was. A year of change (aren't they always, though). A year of growth (Christ calls us ever upward and outward). A year of adventure, of discovery, and realization.

I have learned many things over the course of this year. Christ has been pulling me further outside of my comfort zone, showing me that He has so much more for me than anything I could aspire to on my own. Another important lesson: relationships are so stinkin' mutual - and to clarify, this includes all relationships. I am married to a wunnerful saint, and I am perfectly and incandescently happy. Our love continues to deepen, and in loving him, by being transparent in my trust, I am realizing the depth of Christ's great love for us. How wondrously marvelous.

We are both learning that Christ's timing is always impeccable. It is comforting to rest in the security of Jesus, knowing that He will not fail us. He has proven Himself faithful, and we give Him all of the glory. Our Lord is a gracious savior, the redeemer of our souls.

Memories flood over me, washing up on my mind like the ocean's tide. How strange it was to leave behind our one room hut on the lush green mountainside, to bid our dear friends farewell, to hold back the welling tears that threatened to betray my swimming emotions. I can still see Jay and Theresa's retreating figures as they walked away down a crowded Manila street. It must have been crowded, for those streets always are, yet in my mind's eye, it was just those two. So many fond memories of Olongapo.

Spent our first month in the States living with family. Strong bonds, gracious ties. We had so much to share, nearly a years worth of stories. And how our siblings grew during our absence. They drank us in, those eyes that had been starved of our presence. We had many reunions over the course of 2012.

Two weddings, the first held in high summer. The second occurred in the lovely month of October. Gorgeous, glowing brides, stunning in their ivory and white. Resplendent. Dapper grooms, beholding their prospective brides with beaming faces, unabashed joy. There is something wondrous about outdoor weddings, with God's creation providing a glorious backdrop and the heavens providing the clearest of blue skies. Both were occasions of great rejoicing, celebrating the union of two hearts becoming one.

A quiet anniversary, celebrating our two years of married bliss. Thanksgiving spent with both of our families - so many blessings to be grateful for. And a meaningful Christmas, remembering the birth of Jesus, His humble beginnings. Fellowshipped with family and dear friends, gathered together, recalling memories and creating new ones. We watched Victor Hugo's Les Miserables brought to screen with a group of old friends.

Steady work for John, and a full semester of school for me. Back to the books... Finished up the year strong, making the Dean's list. I am set to graduate in 2015. And it is here that you find us, at home in our cozy Xenia, with a good roof over our heads and a warm shelter from winter's cold. As I write, soft snowflakes are floating gently down and covering the landscape, clinging to the branches and transforming the view from drabness to brilliant whiteness. It looks so pure. All around me, as far as my eyes can see, the world appears to be clothed in a delicate lace. A wood of breathtaking wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment